What Really Makes A Good Freelancer?
What makes a good freelancer? I often ask myself this, and I think it’s a GREAT question. But the problem with this question is that it doesn’t really have a 100% perfect answer. All freelancers are different and manage their businesses different.
But some things will make ANY freelancer in any field a “good” freelancer. See, just being able to design, install, create or manipulate something very well doesn’t make you a “good” freelancer.It makes you a talented and creative person, but not a “Good” freelancer.
Being a good freelancer is more then what you can DO! It’s how you manage and run your business, how you deal with clients and what you do to make your clients happy.See, being able to design, write or change something doesn’t make you a freelancer. Being a freelancer is when you take those talents and turn them into a business.
So, being a good freelancer primarily is determined by what you do in your business on top of the great and wonderful skills you have to offer.
If you’re a “freelancer”, you should be thinking about this.
1. Be client based
– this means you should be just as concerned with your clients’ happiness as you are with the work you’re doing for them. The happier your clients are, the more likely they are to use your services again and refer new clients as well.
See Also: 5 Tips to Overcome Freelance Loneliness
2. Keep your clients in the loop
– one thing that will make you stand out over other freelancers is keeping your clients up to date on every step and process you take on their projects. A GREAT way to do this would be to use a client/business management portal for your freelancing business. Something like Freelance Manager would be perfect.
3. Set basic prices, then be willing to bundle and come down
– so basically you would set a basic price for the services you offer. You would then be prepared to add a service or two if needed at a lower rate (add the two basic prices and minus about 10% or 20% if possible) as a bundle. This will make your new clients happy and add more profit to your pocket in the end.
4. Run your business like it is a business
– this is one of the biggest mistakes I see people make. Just because you work as a freelancer on your own, doesn’t mean you shouldn’t treat it as a real business. The more business-oriented you are, the more professional you look.
5. Create processes
– this is IMPORTANT!!! You should have a process for everything you do in your freelancing business. This will make things easier for you and more consistent for your clients. They will know what to expect and will be much happier in the end.
That last one is important. Creating processes for your business makes things as easy as 1, 2, 3!
One of the simplest, fastest and most useful things you can do is creating a PDF file that all clients get at the very beginning of each project you start. This PDF shoul offer information on what to expect, tips for making the process easier and a recommended resources page listing all of the services and products you support – with your affiliate links if possible.This one thing will improved your total profit and make an entire project much easier to handle.
A Good Freelancer Is A Successful Freelancer!
One of the most significant returns you’ll see from putting these 5 things into place for your freelancing business is seeing HAPPY repeating clients. This is HUGE for a freelancer as you don’t have to spend as much time finding new clients. You can focus on your work and be a success.Being a freelancer and having a successful business can be MUCH easier for anyone as long as you try to be a “Good” freelancer and manage your business like a business.
If you want more great tips on growing your freelance career, sign up for our newsletter to have our articles delivered directly to you via email